Monday, March 12, 2018

Block-a-Palooza


There's not much to say about last Tuesday's Block-a-Palooza! It was so simple, yet so great-- an all around win for a repeat in the future! For ages 2-5, here's what my newsletter description said:

Mix and mingle lots of different types of blocks and figurines to create whatever you can imagine! This program is self-directed, so work at your own pace.

This sums the morning up pretty accurately. I put out lots of blocks--possibly every block in the library--the big, cardboard brick kind; the traditional, simple wood kind; colorful, wood ones that kind of work with the traditional wood ones; the soft, rubber kind; and some foamy ones that might be meant for the bath. Plus matchbox cars, different plastic animals, mini stuffed animals, and some plastic boats. Then, when the kids arrived, I handed them a (plastic) hard hat, put on a playlist I'd made for the occasion, and told them to just enjoy! THAT'S IT!




What worked least: I felt like this program was too easy. After I set it up and looked around the room, it seemed so... mediocre. It was just a room of blocks and little toys. Blah. But when the families came in, everyone LOVED IT. They were so happy! They even told me it was a great idea! I guess sometimes simple is all you need!

What worked best: The mix of different blocks and toys really allowed the kids (and parents) to get creative. I would do this program again and I wouldn't change a thing!

Fun note: I specifically told everyone that they didn't have to worry about clean-up, that the luxury of making a mess and leaving it was part of the fun of this program. But these families were so sweet. They all insisted they help put things away. We have the best patrons ever! 💜

No comments:

Post a Comment